Monday, December 9, 2013

Let’s do something right

I look at everything in our society twice. The first picture shows what media, industrial farming, big corporations, and on and on, are doing to our culture. And then I look at where people are doing good things and living with respect and satisfaction.

I can try to avoid adding my support to the former, but like they say, whaddya gonna do?

Way back in college days, we talked of the kernel growing in the husk of the old seed, new wine in old wineskins, the resurrection and the life.

A lot of talk has flowed down the river, but people are doing good and doing it well all along the way if you look at what is near at hand. Not solutions for the entire culture, perhaps, but people growing their own food, selling produce in local markets, people making solid things and working together for small progress for ourselves and a few others – that counts for something.

As far as I can tell, it has always been thus. Cottin’s Farmers Market was strong this year. That’s one picture I keep my eyes on. And others like it.

These things close to home are good sources for writing that encourages me, and, I hope, a few others. I’ve abandoned the talk of making everything better. Let’s do some things right – for now.


No comments: